Google

TO DO LIST: New country/new life

  • 1. Find a doctor
  • 2. Choose the right school
  • 3. Get a state driver's licence
  • 4. Find the supermarket
  • 5. Open a bank account
  • 6. Teach your children about feet and inches (no metric kids around here!)
  • 7. Buy an american cookbook and a set of cup measures!
  • 8. Buy american/english dictionary
  • 9. Put useful advice about living in America on my web page
  • 10. And so on...

A little contribution to the page from Laura, our eldest daughter

Here are some of my experiences....

So do they have popcorn in England? - Alyssa, my first trip to the "movies" in 2003.
We have so much beer in Wisconsin, our "faucets" are Hot, Cold, and Miller. - Hanah, explaining the obvious abundance of beer in Wisconsin.
Isn't it guilty until proven innocent in the Britain? (The Britain?????) - Mike, asking how our justice system functions.
So are you cousins with the Queen? - Girl at McDonalds.
Are you Irish - Customer at Petco......btw this is one of the most FAQ.
Don't you guys drink your beer warm? - Drunk person at a bonfire.
So you guys like all live on a beach, cos the UK's like a little island right? - Co-employee at one of my places of work, asking the size of the UK.

That's all I can remember right now, funny how sheltered they are!!

I love food, eating out and finding new recipes, both British and American style fayre...

This site will be a good way to share my favourite recipes, both from home and here.
Each season brings new tastes and desires, and I satisfy my needs by following favoured TV chefs like Gordon Ramsay and Rachael Ray, then hitting the kitchen and adapting their ideas to suit my family's tastes, sometimes making the American dishes alittle bit British and vice versa.
Watch this space for new recipes.


Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Other side of the car....Other side of the road

We very quickly learned that, contrary to what the immigration people had told us, we would not be permitted to drive legally holding only an international driver's permit. We had thought this would suffice for twelve months however it was not to be. Many states have different laws, but, if you are to be resident in Wisconsin the state requires that you obtain a state licence within thirty days. For people moving here from many other states within the USA, this means only that they must replace their state licence and plates from their previous state of residence to their new one. However, for immigrants like us it meant taking a driving test! Oh Boy!
Wisconsin is full of railway crossings, strange speed limits, funky junctions, weird parking laws, and lots and lots of traffic cops to keep everyone in check. So we picked up a state driving manual and studied and practiced. This is strange to do when you have been driving for more than twenty years, believe me. The test was comprised of a computer theory test and a practical test. We had to learn a whole new version of the Highway Code which had strange information about what to do if you hit a deer (quite common in these parts!) and parking in winter! In cities this is very important as you don't want to leave your car on the wrong side of a street overnight 'cos if you do ...IT WILL BE OBLITERATED BY A SNOW PLOUGH! You can turn right on a red light at some junctions (but only if it is safe to do so!). You can't park in front of a fire hydrant. You must stop a certain distance behind a school bus if it has the lights flashing. Multi occupant lanes, single occupant lanes. Stop signs, yield signs, bear crossing etc,. We were pretty anxious about it all but in the end it was a breeze...the examiner just wanted to talk about England, where we lived before, and the Queen, of course.
We both passed the test and this actually turned out to be the easy part. The very worst part was picking up our shiny new Wisconsin Driving Permits. A visit to your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) needs to be planned like a military operation. Take food, water, reading materials, passports, residency papers, proof of address, (maybe even a tent and sleeping bag!) because, believe me, you can make lifelong friends standing in a queue for THAT LONG!
My suggestion: plan ahead by going to www.dmv.org for a directory of state DMV websites.


I should add that for about two years after we moved here, I still, on occasion, got into the wrong side of the car without thinking. I'd turn around and think "Where's the bloody steering wheel?", then sheepishly climb back out and walk casually around to the driver's side, hoping nobody saw me. The lads I worked with used to die laughing at my stupidity. However, that's not the funniest thing...when we went back to the UK for Christmas, my husband quite happily drove off down the right hand side of the street. He had only lived in America for 16 months and had lived in England for 40 years....how confused was he? Still, it makes for interesting road trips.

2 comments:

johnnyaird said...

Hillarious, Ally... I can picture you climbing into the wrong side of the car, then muttering to yourself "ah, what the bloody hell am i doing??"

Dan Sortino said...

Just found your site, and already I like what I've read.

I'm moving to the States next year as my wife is from Vegas.

She hates the 'great' English weather and craves the desert.

I know I have to get a new licence and I am so relieved to hear that it's not all that daunting.

Dan


www.headinablender.com